"I was so sorry to learn of Doris' death. You in her family won't know me, but she was my first true love and I have held her in highest regard for my 92 years. Condolences to all her family."
This prompted me to send an e-mail to this gentleman just to say hello. My cousin also sent him an e-mail to see if we could learn more about grandma in her young years. It has been very interesting to learn about him and also our grandma. He is quite a character (he is a a 92 year old who e-mails though!) He even has an online blog where he has posted pictures and also has many of his WWII and family stories.
Here is an excerpt from one of his e-mails to us: "Thanks Ladies, for contacting me about your Grandma. Yes, Doris and I were in love in High School and it continued until well after we both were out of college and starting our adult lives. In fact, as you may well know, that first love is never forgotten and remains with you for life. I had skipped the 7th grade and was the same age as Doris but a year ahead of her in school. I got underage driving privileges to drive a school bus, and Doris would sit in the driver's seat with me and help control the other kids. We maintained our relationship through high school and my time at UNC Chapel Hill and hers at ECTC in Greenville. We then sort of drifted apart as she began her teaching career and I went into the Air Force as a Flying Cadet. She met and ultimately married Roger while teaching at Stanhope.
My Grandmother has two living sisters (out of her 7 siblings). This also prompted one of them to send him an e-mail as well. I really appreciate what he has told us, thus far. In a time of sadness, he has put a smile on my face because I have learned things about her that no one else really knew.
My cousin made a trip to Pink Hill, NC yesterday. Grandma grew up here and so did her first love. His family built the Mill Pond and Grandma lived in the house right next to it. Here are a few snapshots of her trip.
Maxwell Mill Pond

Hebron Church, Pink Hill, NC Grandmother's church growing up

Grandmother's brother who died at the age of 6




No comments:
Post a Comment